NEW! Full Color Still Life lessons this Fall 2023
- Learn the Four Stages Basics with an online Zoom class.
- Three Saturday mornings two hours each session, six hours total $200.
- You will be part of a small group of students (4-6) each getting individual attention, and learning from each other's critiques.
- Week 1 - Lemon, block, colored cloths
- Week 2 - White bowl or mug, block, colored cloth
- Week 3 - Simple sculpture or vase, block, colored cloth
Set up your own still life in light with a lamp.
Take a digital photo and send it to me before class.
You can use yoga blocks, or go to your local lumber yard and get free ends cuts to make your own blocks.
Paint them in Red, Yellow or Blue.
NEW! Full Color landscape lessons this January 2024
NEW! Full Color Advanced Still Life lessons Winter 2024
Online Zoom lessons with a smart phone: $55/hour for private
- Book Diane for a luminous tune-up of your skills or simply learn to paint something you love.
- Horses, Roosters, Flowers, and Favorite Pets are all wonderful subjects too!
Email, text or call Diane for more info: 587-899-0064
Learn to Paint Horses with Summerland, BC Artist Diane Williams
Offering live private lessons
What you will learn:
- A lesson on composition and placement of your subject on the canvas
- A step by step presentation on Stages 1-4 (see photos) on how to layer your color. Starting from understanding how to paint a brilliant base layer to the refinement of each stage and finally to special detail on one part of the painting.
- Color mixing without black, brown, or grey.
- Diane will guide you through the process from a charcoal sketch to a finished painting.
- Horse paintings typically take six to 10 hours.
- Book Diane for a luminous tune-up of your skills or simply learn to paint. Horses, Roosters, Flowers, and Favorite Pets are all wonderful subjects too!
Schedule an inperson session: $60/hour or bring a friend $95/hour for two.
Email, text or call Diane for more info on dates: 587-899-0064
- Canvas 16x20 with wrapped sides 1.5” deep.
- Clear, close-up color digital photo of a plant, flower, face of a horse, or other non-complex subject matter. The photo should have a good structure or large shapes with clear shadow and light areas.
- Acrylics or Oil
- Basic colors - lemon yellow (Hanza or Azo ) cadmium orange, dioxazine purple, manganese blue or cerulean blue, ultramarine blue, cobalt blue, magenta or quinacridone violet, permanent rose or quinacridone rose, Indian yellow, and a large titanium white.
- You are welcome to bring any other colors that you have except for brown, grey or black.
- Brushes: 4, 8, 10-inch filbert (flat brush with a curved tip, I prefer the filberts).
- Palette to mix on. I use a 16x20 Grey Matters paper palette. Swinton’s Art Supplies will give you 10% off all supplies if you are a student.
- Willow Vine Charcoal for drawing the image onto the canvas. Buy the smallest, thinnest in thickness. A charcoal pencil will not work.